This Bar is formulated for use as body butter bars. They use soft ingredients to melt and be easily absorbed into the skin.
You can fully customize this by replacing the oil, butter and flavour oil we list with any of your choice, you may need to adjust the amounts of oil to butter depending on which butter you use, as some are softer than others.
This is an anhyrdrous formula, meaning that you do not need a preservative. We’d advise a shelf life of 6-12 months, but you can do your own testing. This may change depending on oil choice.
Remember that you need to stability test and obtain a CPSR before gifting or selling your finished products.
- Heat proof beakers or bowl
- Pan for Bane Marie or double boiler
- Stirring rods
- Small dishes or beakers for ingredients
- A soap mould of choice
- PPE – Gloves, mask, apron, hairnet
Formula: These percentages are decimals because as I formulated, I adjusted the amount of mica. This meant that since the quantities of the other ingredients didn’t change, the percentages needed to be recalculated for the final formula. If you need help doing this, we have an excel based calculator available HERE
- 50.35% Shea Butter - humectant, occlusive and emollient – Attracts and retains moisture on the skin, creates a protective barrier to prevent water loss and smooth the skin.
- 17.12% Sweet Almond Oil – humectant and emollient – Smooths the skin, helps it to retain moisture, can act an anti-inflammatory. Skin conditioning. Easily absorbed without leaving a greasy feel.
- 15.11% Jojoba Oil – humectant, an occlusive, and an emollient – Attracts and retains moisture on the skin, creates a protective barrier to prevent water loss and smooths the skin. Known to be antibacterial and to boost the skins natural glow. A lightweight oil that absorbs well into the skin without leaving a greasy feel.
- 15.11% Candelilla Wax – Hardener, stabilizer and emulsifier – Is absorbed easily into the skin. Reported to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and signs of aging.
- 1.5% Fragrance Oil - Rose Petals - scent
- 0.51% Vitamin e (Tocopherol 70%) – Antioxidant – Stabilizes the oils in the formulation and softens the skin and protects cells from damage.
Recipe for a 500g batch – approx. 12-15 bars depending on mould size
- 250g Shea Butter
- 85g Sweet Almond Oil
- 75g Jojoba Oil
- 75g Candelilla Wax
- 5g Fragrance Oil - Rose Petals
- 5g Vitamin e (Tocopherol 70%)
- 5g Mica Colour
- First adhere to GMP and clean down your workspace and equipment.
- Weigh out all your ingredients ready in small dishes or beakers.
- Add your oils, wax and butter to a heat proof beaker and heat in a Bane Marie, double boiler or lab stove until melted. It can take some time to melt entirely, make sure the wax is completely melted and combined.
- Take off the heat.
- Add your coloured mica and mix well.
- Allow to cool to under 40 degrees before adding your flavour oil and vitamin e.
- Mix well.
- Pour into your chosen mould and allow to set for around 24 hour before use. Ideally in a fridge.
I really like this formulation. It’s extremely beginner friendly and can be easily customized.
You can change up the oils and butter depending on the skin benefits that you want from them.
You can also replace the fragrance oil with an essential oil (check IFRA allowed %) to gain added benefits as well as the scent.
You can use neon pigment instead of mica, but I would suggest lowering the % and adding a little at a time until you achieve your desired colour.
To store, I recommend an aluminum tin.
These body butter bars have a low melting point so that that melt into the skin on contact. Massage bar moulds will not work with this formula. If you would like to make massage bar, you will need to add a harder wax. You can replace half of the Candelilla with Carnauba wax for a harder bar.
For more advanced and exclusive recipes, formulation information and business support you can join my Patreon HERE
Disclaimer: These formulas and recipes are experiments created for the purpose of sharing on Patreon and YouTube. Revega does not make any claims as to their qualifications or the efficacy of the the formulations which are listed here for entertainment purposes and accepts no responsibility for how you use these. We are self-taught and offer these videos from our years of knowledge and experience in making our own cosmetic products.
Remember that if you intend to use one of these formulations for your own product range, do your own research, experiments, adjustments and tests before using, gifting or selling.